Just as you expect, there are different types of SEO available. You don’t need to apply all of them to your digital marketing campaign; some are necessary, some aren’t.
The most important thing is to understand what they consist of, how they align with Google’s webmaster guidelines and how that ultimately impacts your SEO efforts.
Let’s take a look at each of them below!
Types Of SEO in Calgary
Perhaps the most common and most used (and therefore powerful) SEO tactic available. On-page refers to optimizing elements on your website to deliver better rankings and results.
The majority of on-page SEO relies on keyword implementation. Therefore, you should apply keywords to the following elements:
- Page titles: titles of your pages should include keywords and be descriptive
- URLs of each page: your web page address should briefly describe its content and include a relevant keyword
- Meta descriptions: metas describe to audiences what to expect when clicking on the page and include a keyword. The character limit is 160 or less.
- Header tags: Headers on each page should contain a keyword and be tagged as either an H1 or H2 (avoid H3s and H4s). They’re also useful for separating your content.
- Content: Website copy must be relevant to the page’s information and be helpful to the audience. It should be lengthy (more than 800 words depending on each industry) and contain the keywords and their variations.
- Alt tags: Alt tags describe the contents of your images to Google’s search algorithm. You should include a keyword, so it understands it better.
There are other on-page SEO tactics that can help that are not related to keywords. These include:
- Design: having an intuitive design and professional website can ensure that your users stay on your site for longer, lowering your bounce rate while boosting your rankings. The right design can have a significant impact on content placement, navigation, multimedia and link-building.
- Navigation: the better the navigation, the better the user experience for your audience. Make it easy for them to find what they want on your site.
- Internal linking: connecting pages on your site helps users with navigation and builds authority to specific pages.
This type of SEO depends on factors that occur outside your website that you can’t control directly but can significantly impact your campaign.
Just like on-page SEO, off-page is mainly built on earning backlinks.
Backlinks are links to your site from other websites, which Google uses to recognize the page’s quality, reputability, and relevancy. The more links you have from quality websites, the better Google will identify your website on its rankings.
Link-building can be built through the following manners:
- Guest blogs posted on other websites that link back to your website or specific pages.
- Social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, can link back to your website. You can also maximize social media marketing to help build links.
- Directories, such as Bright Local and the Better Business Bureau, work similarly to social media platforms to build links to your website.
This type of SEO focuses on the backend and the server of the website. By optimizing this part of the website, you can significantly enhance its user experience, thereby boosting your SEO in Calgary. This will help both your on-page and off-page SEO.
Here are some technical SEO improvements that you can implement:
- Speed up your website: Google uses page speed as a ranking factor, so you have to maximize its speed to help its user experience. To improve it, you can clear your browser cache, clean up your code, compress multimedia and remove plugins.
- Create an XML sitemap: using an XML sitemap, you can help Google crawl your site quicker and create accurate indexes of your site.
- Create a robots.txt file: this type of txt file tells Google which pages of your site not to crawl and index, focusing their aims on the right pages.
- Maximize a responsive website design: ensuring your website is responsive to mobile and tablet devices ensures it ranks higher on Google.
- Removing duplicate content: we know all duplicate content is a big no-no, so you can either remove it or use a canonical tag to tell Google which version of a page is the original.
Local SEO is an essential part of modern-day SEO campaigns (we discussed it in more depth in this blog, “What Is Local SEO? Your 2020 Guide“).
The aim is to optimize your website, landing page, social media platforms or Google My Business to target local areas.
So how do you implement local SEO? These tips can help you:
- Create landing pages that target specific cities or areas
- Claim and optimize your Google My Business listing
- Create content that relates to these location-specific keywords
The Bad Types of SEO in Calgary
There are two bad SEO strategies that should never be used. These include:
- Black Hat: These tactics are deemed “black hat” as they use tactics that go against Google’s Guidelines (such as keyword stuffing or poor link-building). You’ll get rankings faster, but you run the risk that your website will rank lower or be banned from Google.
- Negative SEO: Talk about being a bad sport. This type of SEO is the practice of implementing black SEO techniques against someone else’s website. This can include writing poor reviews, hacking, copying content and building links to the website from inadequate or inappropriate websites.
Under no circumstances should you implement black or negative SEO tactics. The best SEO companies in Calgary use only white-hat tactics to ensure they can deliver high-end, long-term results for their clients. Double-check with them to ensure they implement such tactics.
Contact GrowME if you’re in need of advice, digital marketing help, or for your next marketing campaign! For more information, send an email or give us a call! Local: (403) 5-GrowME | Toll Free: 1 (855) 547-6963 | [email protected]