If you’re a local restaurant, small law firm, or a one-man plumber, reaching your local audience is essential. How else can you drive in traffic and sales from nearby customers? It’s the ultimate digital marketing move that pays off in the long term.
And it can only be done with Local SEO.
The Basics: What is Local SEO?
Like regular SEO, local search engine optimization focuses your efforts on improving local visibility in search engines like Google.
You optimize your website for local terms, such as cities, suburbs or provinces, and social media profiles and directories. In some cases, if you are looking to target multiple areas, you have to optimize for all of them.
By doing Local SEO right, you become the answer to many popular Google search terms, such as “(keyword) near me” or “best (keyword) in Toronto” or “SEO Calgary“. And that means more business for your small business.
How does Local SEO Benefit My Small Businesses?
Cost-Effective Marketing Option
While other digital marketing options, such as PPC Ads or Remarketing, might cost you a bit of a penny, SEO is affordable. While it requires more time and effort on your behalf, alongside the continuous maintenance of doing it right, you can get great results while saving a lot of money if implemented correctly.
Helps Ready-To-Buy Local Customers Find You
Don’t be shocked to hear that up to 72% of consumers make local searches within a five-kilometre radius. If you’re not in that range, then you’re missing out on ready-to-buy now customers. They are more likely to buy from you if they can easily find you in their search radius.
At the same time, you’ll weed out people that aren’t interested in your business, products or services. That ultimately means more quality leads, traffic and sales.
Establishes Your Brand & Business in Local Areas
Not only will you get more leads to your store and traffic to your website, but you’ll slowly develop a reputation within the area. Brand-building is pivotal to your success, and Local SEO can prove the kick-starter to ensure that your brand becomes known around the city, suburb or province.
How Can My Small Business Use Local SEO?
There are some very simple ways in which you can optimize your website for local searches:
- Create local and consistent local situations and directory profiles. Use the likes of BrightLocal, the Better Business Bureau, and Yelp. Ensure that your profile details (phone number, location, office hours etc.) are consistent on all of them. The same applies to your Facebook and Instagram accounts – only make you use them often.
- Make and optimize your Google My Business profile. Like above, but make sure you post on it consistently, encourage feedback and respond to comments/reviews.
- Significantly, it would help if you were optimizing your Google Maps, so you can instantly appear when searched for specific location-based keywords.
- Optimize your website for ‘local’ search terms. We’re referring to the service or product before mentioning the city or province a few times. An example would be “SEO in Toronto” or “hair salon in Ottawa”. If you have multiple pages, make sure you have a single page for each location. Always optimize the URL, Title Tags, Headers, Metas, and Content of each page and website.
- Create local content for local sites. Also known as guest blogging. This is a useful tool in your SEO kit that can prove beneficial to build your website’s domain authority. Make sure you “hyperlink” your keyword back to your website, so you gain a valuable link.
(If you want to know more about how to implement successful SEO, read our Guide here!)
So, Why is Local SEO so Important for My Small Business?
These stats from Google themselves will tell you why Local SEO is so important for your small business:
- 900%+ growth in mobile searches for “___ near me today/tonight.”
- 150%+ growth in mobile searches for “___ near me now.”
- 200%+ growth in mobile searches for “Open” + “now” + “near me”
And these numbers will only continue to grow as consumers search for products, services, and goods in their proximity and that relevance for them.
If your small business doesn’t take advantage of this growing boom, you’ll miss out on new leads and sales, website traffic, better brand awareness and making your business bigger and better. If the opportunity presents itself, take advantage of Local SEO.
Contact GrowME if you’re in need of advice, digital marketing help, or for your next marketing campaign! For more information, send an email or give us a call! Local: (403) 5-GrowME | Toll Free: 1 (855) 547-6963 | [email protected]