Considering that Google’s Display Ad Network reaches 90% of global internet users, it highlights the importance of developing engaging and powerful display advertising.
But what is display advertising? How important is it? Why are the benefits of it, and how do you make the best one possible?
We take a look at these questions and give you clear-cut answers to each one.
What Is Display Advertising?
While the term ‘display advertising’ has multiple definitions, we are strictly referring to digital marketing and, in particular, to Google Ads when we talk about it. The best definition of the term is used by none other than Wikipedia:
“Display digital display advertising is graphic advertising on Internet websites, apps or social media through banners or other advertising formats made of text, images, flash, video, and audio. The main purpose of display advertising is to deliver general advertisements and brand messages to site visitors”.
As the term can be pretty general, it is important to categorize each display ad under one of these three umbrellas:
- Site placement – which is when the business chooses the website they would like to run their display ads on
- Contextual advertising – which is when you display ads on relevant websites, such as posting an ad on a sports news site about your sporting goods
- Remarketing – which is when ads appear in front of users who have been on your website but have not made a conversion
Now that we have a firm understanding of the term and how we can apply it, let’s look at the benefits of using it as part of your digital marketing in Calgary.
Why Use Digital Display Advertising
There are some clear-cut advantages that come with using display through Google Ads as part of your digital marketing campaign, including:
More Sales, Therefore, More Profits
Display advertisements are just that: ads. So their aim is simple: to generate more sales and therefore more profits. It might be difficult at first, but careful consideration and planning can result in you creating banner ads that instantly attract customers.
Building Brand Awareness
Not all ads are about making sales; they’re about generating interest in your service or product. A high level of exposure can push your brand out in front of your target audience, generating interest in your business. Display advertising can do that precisely that without being too “sales-like”.
Increase & Convert Leads
Leads are the KPIs that showcase if a display advertisement is working as it should. These ads are all about bringing in potential customers and converting them on your site. It’s all about establishing a hook that works with your customers and drawing them into your business. Then it’s up to your custom web design to make the conversion.
Stay in Front of the Eyes of Customers
Staying in the eyes of your customers is crucial. While they might not buy your products or service now, they might down the line. Keeping your brand front and centre of your customers will enhance its awareness while offering your customers opportunities to make purchases.
How To Make An Effective A Digital Display Advertising
Creating an effective Google Ad requires time and patience.
While you might hope for expected results, it’s very much an A/B testing situation, where trial and error are necessary.
When you create yours, here is a quick guide you should follow:
- Be consistent with your messaging, but be expansive in your vocabulary
- Build your banner logically by using a hierarchy
- Use clear-cut images to clarify your message
- Optimize images and your brand logo to build awareness
- Use videos if necessary, but don’t overdo it
- Use clear and compelling headlines and text with focused keywords related to your SEO and digital marketing campaign
- Include prices, promotions, and exclusives
- Make a relevant landing page that works with the advertisement
- Choose the right format from the three categories we mentioned above.
- Continue to test and optimize – you’ll eventually nail it!
If you are struggling with creating your Google Ads, hiring a digital marketing agency in Calgary can aid your experience. You’ll get an expert in Google Ads management that can run your campaigns and make the most out of your display advertising.
Contact GrowME if you’re in need of advice, digital marketing help, or for your next marketing campaign! For more information, send an email or give us a call! Local: (403) 5-GrowME | Toll Free: 1 (855) 547-6963 | [email protected]